Skip to main content

Lists of Songs in Songs



On Spotify Here


1. Plus Ones - Okkervil River
no one wants a tune about the 100th luftballoon,
seen shooting from the window of your room
to be a spot against the sky's colossal gloom, and land, deflated
in some neighbor state that's strewn with 99 others
.



2. Hot Topic - Le Tigre
(fuh all thuh gurrrrlz)




3. Losing My Edge - LCS Soundsystem
(I WAS THERE I WAS THERE I WAS THERE)

It is about being horrified by my own silliness. And then it became a wider thing about people who grip onto other people’s creations like they are their own.





4. Teachers - Daft Punk)
(You haven't heard of these, go away if you say you have.)




5. Teachers - Soulwax
(be nothing like one's heroes)




6. A Praise Chorus
(Wait for the bridge: Shondells, Madness, Promise Ring, Bad Company, They Might be Giants. This meant something to me, once.)
Crimson and clover, over and over
Crimson and clover, over and over
Our house in the middle of the street, why did we ever meet?
Started my rock 'n roll fantasy
Don't, don't, don't let's start, why did we ever part?
Kick start my rock and roll heart.



6. Life Is A Rock - Reunion
(Guyyysss...this didn't have to be a novelty tune, now did it?)




7. Labels - GZA
(Amazing! if you don't read the label you might get poisoned)

Tommy ain't my motherfuckin' boy
When you fake moves on a nigga you employ
We'll all emerge off your set, now you know God damn
I show living large niggas how to flip a def jam
And rough up the motherfuckin' house cause I smother
You cold chillin' motherfuckers, I still warn a brother
I'm ruthless my clan don't have to act wild
That shit is jive, an old sleeping bag profile
The soft comedian rap shit ain't the rough witty
On the reel to reel it wasn't from a tough city.




8. Pop songs your new boyfriend's too stupid to know about - Tullycraft
(I mean, he likes Sting ffs!)




9. Destroy Rock n Roll - Mylo
(The 80s on trial)

Duran Duran
Duran Duran
Duran Duran




10. Coded Language - Saul Williams
(STOP IN THE NAME OF COLTRANE)




11. His Indie World - Mary Lou Lord
(These things are not so inclusive.)


(Here, no vid.)




12. Dear Resonance - Even in Blackouts.
Talk of war and actions that resemble such;
I dance in my club with the guilt of my apathy shaking this indifference.
And then I hear Lennon’s Imagine and the generations around me
waltz in mockery and irony. I want some distance.
It hurts to know history’s closeness can blow a hole right through your guile
Without showing its face.
The times may be constantly changing, Bob,
But what does that mean to resonance?






13. Irk The Purists - Half Man Half Biscuit.
(eclecticism eudaimon! épater le contre-culture!)

Comments