One of the better phenomena in the last 20 years of rock has been a cluster of things I call rubinations:
- an over-the-hill musician
- is renewed, accrues critical acclaim
- from working with a young svengali producer,
- on an album containing covers (especially surprising ones).
- The festival circuit
- or very large sales follow.
On Spotify Here
Listen easily here. Or:
- Loretta Lynn (& Jack White) - on 2004's Van Lear Rose.
Satisfies 1, 2, 3, 4.
- Mavis Staples (& Jeff Tweedy) - 2010's You Are Not Alone. 1, 3, 4.
- Wanda Jackson (& Jack White) - on 2011's The Party Ain't Over.
Satisfies 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & perhaps soon 6.
- Shirley Bassey (& the world) - on 2008's The Performance. Satisfies 1,2,3,4,5, and of course 6.
- Johnny Cash (& Rick Rubin) - American Recordings (1994-2003).
Satisfies #1, 2, 3, 4, 6.
- Neil Diamond (& Rick Rubin)- on 2005's 12 Songs.
Satisfies 1,3,4,5 & 6.
- Vashti Bunyan (& Max Richter & Animal Collective!) - on 2005's Lookaftering.
1, 2, 3, 4, 6.
- Bettye Lavette (& Joe Henry) - on 2005's I've Got My Own Hell To Raise.
- Willie Nelson (& Daniel Lanois) - on 1998's Teatro.
- Willie Nelson (& Ryan Adams) - on 2004's Songbird.
- Howlin Wolf (& Norman Dayron) - on 1971's The London Sessions.
- Muddy Waters (& Johnny Winter) - on 1977's Hard Again.
Embedding forbidden, but do click here. The best single blues session?
- Leonard Cohen (& Sharon Robinson) - on 2001's Ten New Songs.
- RL Burnside (& Jon Spencer) - on 1996's A Ass Pocket of Whiskey and others.
- John Fahey (& Jim O'Rourke) - on 1997's Womblife.
- Glen Campbell - 2008's Meet Glen Campbell, cover dreck.
- Gil Scott-Heron (& Richard Russell) - on 2010's I'm New Here.
- Roky Erikson (& Will Sheff) - on 2010's True Love Will Cast Out All Evil.
Satisfies 1 and 3.
- Candi Staton (& Mark Nevers) - 2006's His Hands.
- Robert Plant (& T-Bone Burnett) - on 2006's Raising Sand.
Jimmy Cliff (with Tim Armstrong!) on Rebirth (2012)
1, 2, 3, 4
- The Stooges (& Steve Albini) on The Weirdness.
Tom Jones continues to try, but he didn't rise anywhere in the first place, and so did not fall, and so cannot recur.