One popular way of telling if something belongs to the worst category of things - "structural oppressions" - is the following rule:
A thing is x-ist if it disproportionately harms group x.Well enough. However:
- "An act is homophobic if it disproportionately harms queer people."
- Unilateral nuclear disarmament by e.g. the US would transfer huge amounts of power to the Russian and Chinese governments.
- The Russian and Chinese governments systematically harm queer people (more than the US government does).
- Therefore unilateral nuclear disarmament is homophobic.
- "An institution is racist if it disproportionately harms nonwhite people."
- The Black Panther Party plausibly killed more black people than white people.
- Therefore the Black Panther Party may have been racist against black people.
- "A process is sexist if it disproportionately harms women."
- The law of gravity caused the Earth to form.
- Because the Earth formed, thousands of years of patriarchy happened and are happening.
- Therefore the law of gravity is sexist.